Tag Archives: baby feet
14 September 2017 | By Wrightson and Platt
It is a line we hear from parents often “They grow so fast!”
We recently had the joy of seeing one of our clients. We hadn’t seen little Kit for a couple of years since we cast his baby feet. Wow he has grown. Kit is now walking, talking and getting cheekier by the day!
Baby Kit was just one week old when we first met him and cast his tiny toes. He is now a two years old and we can’t quite believe how much he has grown. Dad John had Kit’s little feet cast in bronze and he wanted to show us how his little boy was doing. With rosie cheeks and a big smile Kit is a bonnie boy who marvelled at how little his feet used to be.
Kit is obviously going to be a tall strapping lad just like his father. But John can forever treasure Kit at his tiniest, that moment when he could hold his son’s tiny feet in the palm of his hand. Kit’s little bronze cast feet will always be a treasured token of his early days.
21 February 2017 | By Wrightson and Platt
For the love of those tiny feet, we have gathered 10 facts about baby feet (one for every toe, of course). There is a reason why we cherish our baby’s feet; they are only so soft and small for such a short time and before you know it they are walking around in their first pair of shoes!
- Growing Fast: Babies’ feet grow extremely fast; by the time your child is one their feet will be nearly half their adult size.
- How Fast Do They Grow? Every pair of feet is unique and can grow at different speeds, but on average in the first 12 months a baby can grow up to 4 shoe sizes! That’s at least 40mm in a year.
- The Shape of Your Baby’s Feet: Do those tiny feet look similar to yours or your partner’s? Well that’s because your baby has inherited them from Mum and Dad. Rounded, tapered or square, your baby will have inherited one of these characteristics; just compare those tiny toes to your own.
- Feet Looking Flat? Well that’s because they are going to be flat for the first few years. The arch of your child’s feet will start to develop when they are about two or three (do see your podiatrist for regular checks).
- Baby Feet Size: On average a newborn baby’s feet are 7.6cm long but they can be bigger or tinier so wait until your little one arrives before you buy their little socks.
- Bones: A baby will not have formed bones for at least 6 months. Babies are born with cartilage which is soft and flexible. Their bones will be fusing and growing for a while (until their late teens!).
- Growth and Development: Between 9-18 months old it is important that your children’s feet are allowed to grow naturally as there are 25 bones forming (no tight socks or shoes for those tootsies).
- The Value of Movement: Let your little one kick and wriggle those legs and feet; it all helps them develop the little muscles they’ll soon need for walking.
- First Shoes: Did you know that babies don’t actually need to wear structured shoes even when they have started to try to walk. In fact for those first 18 months it is recommended that to encourage their feet to grow freely, they shouldn’t be restricted (of course you can keep them warm with some loose little socks).
- Those First Steps: It will be in your child’s first 13-18 months that your child will take their first steps (on average, after all every child is unique).
Treasure your baby’s tiny feet while they fit in the palm of your hand.
28 November 2016 | By Wrightson and Platt
Every little pair of feet we cast is unique; they are made with the utmost care, incredible attention to detail and a little bit of magic. So we thought you might like to have a little look at how one of beautiful pieces is made. W&P’s Glass Baby Footprint Block:
From start to finish, our team works hard to ensure that every detail of your baby’s feet is captured.Each stage of production involves our craftsmen and women using their specialist skills to capture your baby’s footprints in glass. Our glass takes months to produce because the glass is heated and cooled very, very slowly to ensure a perfect finish. Such a delicate material needs plenty of TLC.And finally the big reveal! Once the glass has cooled, our team clean, polish, frost and finish the glass with your chosen engraving added for that special finishing touch!
Your unique crystal clear glass sculpture is complete so you can treasure those tiny feet always.
20 October 2016 | By Wrightson and Platt
The nights are drawing in and we’ve got our blankets at the ready for snuggling under on those chilly nights. Autumn is a beautiful time to spend with your family whether you are inside keeping warm or enjoying the great outdoors.
From the warming colours of autumn, to beautiful botanical here’s a few unique ways to celebrate this season:
- Expecting a little bundle of joy this autumn? Celebrate your baby’s arrival with this unique glass panel, capturing every little detail of your baby’s feet in the warmest colours.
- Little acorns grow into mighty oaks. Beautifully cast in sterling silver, this acorn pendant has been made by our talented silversmith, forever a treasure.
- Save your autumn treasures in this pumpkin trinket box, cast in bronze to treasure for a lifetime.